Reader Ellen (you’re the first I know about that I’m not paying to read :) this one is for you babe!
I’m not going to pretend that makeup isn’t tricky. It’s like blow jobs (yes, blow jobs) unless you’ve been taught by someone who actually knows what they are talking about, you could really make a mess. I suggest going to Bergdorf’s, Saks, or Barney’s, find someone who isn’t wearing every color of the rainbow their face and getting a little lesson (you should buy something, so I would suggest Chanel, Nars, Prescriptives, YSL, which are my favorites).
If you live in Houston, my favorite makeup artist of all time is there. Her name is Georgeann, she works for YSL at Saks. She’s the only one I trust to do my makeup for events.
My second choice is in NYC, William Murphy,he did my makeup in the photo of my first blog entry. If you’re serious about learning, I’m sure he could give you a lesson, but it ain’t cheap! William Murphy: WmRMurphy@aol.com
(Wow, I could write an essay on this topic….FYI, at one point in life, not only did I study make-up application, but I entertained the thought of a career as an artist.)
OK….Dadadada! Here are MY FAVORITE MAKE UP PRODUCTS:
- MAC STUDIO FIX POWDER: It’s really a heavy powder but there are many ways you can apply it. For nighttime, apply your foundation first then this powder WITH A BRUSH. Gently run a tissue over your face to get off excess. For daytime, apply with sponge IMMEDIENTLY after you put on your day lotion. Tissue again here.
- STILLA EYESHADOW IN KITTEN: This color is the best to use everyday as a base,that adds a little sparkle to your eye. You can also use it for your cheeks, bare shoulders, and chest as shimmer.
- REVLON LASH FANTASY IN BLACK: This stuff is amazing. You can actually continue to use your favorite mascara (I love YSL in plum for light eyes during the day) but apply the white curling lotion in the Revlon tube first. Talk about luscious lashes
- PERSCRIPTIVES EYE PENCIL: The colors are really natural.
- ALMAY LINE SMOOTHING FOUNDATION: For just the right amount of coverage.
- EYESHADOW: There are items you can buy at the drug store, but don’t pick up eyeshadow. Sorry, you’re gonna have to spend a little here to get shadows that blend well and give a natural looking eye. I love Chanel, YSL, Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, Stila, and Philosophy
- LIP COLOR APPLICATION: There is a definite trick here! A nude liner first with usually go with whatever color you’re wearing. Then apply gloss or lipstick, DO NOT RUB LIPS TOGETHER!!! Finally apply REVLON LIP GLOSS IN “SHINE CITY” for the last coat, still no rubbing! You’ll have the perfect finish, and it will last a lot longer. Favorite glosses and sticks:
- MAC Tinted Lip Glass in Viva Glam V (the perfect nude)
- CHANEL Rouge Allure Lipstick in Attitude (a red for fall)
- LAURA MERCIER Lip Glace in Pink Beige
- CHANEL Glossimer in Twinkle or Spark
- BUY GOOD BRUSHES. Can’t be frugal here. You AT LEAST need one of each: powder, blush, eyeshadow, angled eyeshadow, stiff eye shadow, and liner (that’s right, ditch the pencil and use eyeshadow as liner. Dip brush in water then line eyes with black or dark brown)
Good luck in your cosmetic endeavors….just remember, less is more.
P.S. Ellen, Juila’s favorite secret is fake lashes. Don’t ask me how she applies them herself, but it really makes her eyes pop. I would only suggest wearing them at night.