I have gotten several emails asking how I stay in shape. Here’s my secret (which is really no secret at all):
- I eat as healthy as possible. Organic and the least amount of processing. NO CORN SYRUP, that stuff is evil. I love vegan food (cookies!) even though I eat meat. BTW, too much meat/protein is not good for you, stock up on veggies with a little bread instead. I consume more than I most people, but I work out a lot!
- I excersize at least 5 days a week. (A perk of being your own boss) My routine includes teaching spin classes at Soul Cycle (which is more like my therapy), lift weights, and do yoga when I can.
- I always eat desert, but mostly healthier, natural sweets: vegan cookies, soy ice cream, etc. It’s easier for your body to digest natural sugars as opposed to artificial sweeteners, so I stay away from Sugar Free or Fat Free stuff.
- The least amount of red meat, dairy (soy is better anyway), and bread (although I DO eat bread…whole grain), very little salad dressing.
Of course rules are meant to be broken, but if you allow yourself a tasty, healthy diet, you will find you don’t stray as often.
Pic is of me taking a tennis lesson on vacation. Definitely would have been more appropriate to have a pic of me spinning or in the gym, but I don’t have a camera at those places. I’m learning tennis so I need to find a good pro in NYC.
IF YOU DON’T HAVE TIME TO WORK OUT (which I have not been able to because I am STILL recovering from the bronchitis):
- Cut down your portions.
- Try not to eat meat or dairy. You need a strong metabolism to break down meat, so if you’re trying to stay lean but can’t get to the gym, this is my suggestion.
- Try to at least do some push-ups and crunches for even 10 minutes.