(By Nancy Sun, Weekly Wanderlust)
I’ve done all the research for my trip so let me get you excited to venture south…and save you some serious time.
- All Costa Rican coastline is public domain – that means there are no private beaches…’rich coast’ indeed!
- Santa Teresa and Malpais are located on the Nicoya Peninsula, a designated blue zone, a region with an exceptional number of people who live beyond 90.
- Does the town name sound familiar? Santa Teresa has gotten a lot of buzz lately since New England Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady and Brazilian Supermodel Gisele Bundchen had their second wedding here. She has a residence nearby and surfs frequently at the Playa Hermosa de Cobano break.
Transportation: After flying into San Jose (SFO) airport
- Via domestic plane: Take Natureair or Sansa to Tambor and catch a 45-minute ride by taxi.
- Via public bus: Take a bus from the San Jose Coca Cola Bus terminal which normally departs early morning (at 6 AM) and before 2 PM. These schedules change all the time so confirm with your hotel.
Some Recommended Accommodations:
Food & Beverage:
- Tres Cabezas in Santa Teresa. Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw friendly.
- Mary’s Restaurant in Malpais. Good fish dishes.
All restaurants are located on one street – keep going one way or the other to find something you like!
Nightlife: Beach bonfire parties and D&N Bar are late night keystones.