This is a Texas classic and great to make if you don’t want to spend all day over the grill.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole (recipe from Ramsey Miller)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp chicken bouillon
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (10.75oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup diced tomatoes w/green chili peppers
- 2 cans (8oz) chili beans, drained
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 3 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add chicken and bouillon, boil for 12-15 minutes, or until cooked through. Reserve 1 cup broth. Remove chicken from pan and dice; set aside.
-In a separate large saucepan, combine reserved broth, onion, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, bell pepper, diced tomatoes w/peppers, and beans. Mix together and heat through stirring often.
-In a 9×13 baking dish, layer casserole as follows: 4 torn tortillas, ½ diced chicken, 1/3 of soup mixture, more tortilla strips, remaining chicken, 1/3 cup soup mixture, more tortilla strips, and remaining soup mixture. Cover with cheese.
-Bake in a preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly.
**Better if you use only one layer of tortilla strips so it doesn’t get soggy!