Total-Body Toning: Side Lunge Shoulder Raise
This move is new to me!
Instructor Francesca Meccariello used it in her class at the Equinox in Soho, and I was instantly in love.
In this combination, you are using many muscles in a new way. Muscles working include:
Here’s how you do it:
- Take one moderately heavy weight (3-8 lbs.)
- Stand up straight with both hands by your side.
- If the weight is in your right hand, step latterly with your left foot and land in a lunge. Make sure your knee doesn’t go over your ankle and your back is flat (so you aren’t bending over). Your right hand will naturally go to your left foot.
- Keeping your abs tight, push with your heel up to a standing position.
- As you push up, raise your slightly bent right arm up to shoulder height.
- You can either simply come up to a standing position, or raise a knee to work your core and practice stability.
Since you are using both upper and lower body, this move is a good way to keep your heart rate up while lifting.