The Swiss Ball Pike
“Breaking Down The Workout” — Francesca Meccariello
Challenge your balance and upper body strength with this intermediate Swiss Ball exercise. The Swiss Ball pike will challenge and work your core, legs, back and shoulders. Tight hamstrings will inhibit the range of motion you’ll get on this exercise.
- Put your feet on the ball with your knees in.
- Walk your hands out.
- Hands go directly under your shoulders.
- Start with your shoulders, back, butt, and feet in a straight line.
- Abs are fully engaged at all times.
- Legs are always straight.
- Take a deep breath
- Contract your abdominals and quadriceps and as you exhale pike your butt up.
- Bring your upper body perpendicular to the floor.
- Lower down to plank position and repeat.
If your form is compromised you must stop! Safety first!!
You must have adequate upper body strength so I suggest you do this exercise toward the beginning of an upper body workout before your upper body becomes fatigued.
Finding the right ball:
Please make sure the ball you use is sturdy, properly inflated and made of the highest quality materials. The thicker the ball material is the better it is. The ones I recommend cost about $45 to $50. They are available at www.performbetter.com.Tweet this!