Curtsy/Side Lunge Combo
“Breaking Down The Workout” — Francesca Meccariello
Slim down and tone up your inner and outer thighs, hips and glutes! The balance factor also causes you to engage your abs.
This is also a great lower body exercise to do when traveling and a gym in not available. Pair or superset this exercise with 2-3 sets of pushups and you completed a great, quickie full body little workout.
- Stand tall and draw your navel into your spine.
- Keep your chin parallel to the floor throughout the exercise.
- Maintain good posture by ENGAGING YOUR ABS
- Keep your hips fairly square to the front of the room throughout the movement.
- Step your right foot behind you about 45 degrees into a curtsy (reverse drop lunge) bending your knees until the front thigh is parallel to the floor and the back knee about an two inches from the floor.
- Keeping your left foot planted, toes pointed straight ahead bring your right leg up and forward to balance then step out to the side into a side or lateral lunge.
See the video for a demo. Be careful not to hyperextend your left leg on the side lunge but the leg should be straight.
Do 2-3 sets of 12-15 each side.
Level 1: Body weight only
Level 2: Hold on to 5-8lb dumbbells bringing the dumbbells to either side of your calf on the side lunge.