In Houston, people we know have been robbed at gunpoint in nice neighborhoods coming out of stores and restaurants. PEOPLE WE KNOW, more than one. It’s a bit scary, and I’m not really sure why this is such a huge problem in Houston. In fact, I feel safer on the streets in NYC at night.
My mom sent me this list and I think it actually has some useful tactics to think about. (Please note, I do not know the official source of this list and do not claim they are proven effective.)
Things to do in an emergency situation
1. Use your elbow – it is strongest point on your body.
2. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you….Chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse.
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won’t see you, but everybody else will.
Ways to avoid an attack:
1. Be aware of your surroundings.
- Look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.
- If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
- Look at the car parked on the driver’s side of your vehicle, and the passenger side… If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
2. When you get in your car, lock the door and leave immediately.
3. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at night.
4. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; and even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, Preferably in a zig -zag pattern.
5. Be smart. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic. It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked ’for help’ into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.