“Breaking Down The Workout” — Francesca Meccariello
This intermediate to advanced strength and stability exercise will work your shoulders, chest, glutes and abs.
You’ll need a Swiss ball and a light to medium set of dumbbells.
The Set Up:
- Holding on to your weights sit on a properly sized Swiss ball.
- Roll forward until your head and upper back are resting on the ball.
- Feet should be hip width apart, heels just and flat on the floor.
- Begin with hips and thighs parallel to the floor holding the weights straight up.
- Fully extend arms with your palms facing forward.
- Take a deep breath as you lower your glutes/hips down while bringing the weights down and out until elbows are bent and below your shoulders.
- Exhale and press the weights up while engaging your glutes to extend your hips until parallel to the floor again.
- Be careful not to let your lower back arch too much. You should not feel pain in your lower back if you do stop the exercise.
- Push through your heels, not your toes.
Advanced: Once you can perform 3 sets of 15 reps comfortably you can progress the exercise by bringing your feet and legs closer together even squeezing your thighs together.