When talking to men about fashion, you don’t want to scare them off, so you have to start off with a brand they recognize and that sounds affordable, like Gap.
So, that’s where we will begin. Basics for fall from stores you know:
- Flannel button downs from Gap ($35-50)
- Nice blazers from Club Monaco
- Ts and flannel from American Eagle
Banana Republic is a rip off in my opinion, so forgo that stop for one of my other suggestions.
Jeans can be tricky and intimidating, so if there is a Barney’s near you, go there (Neiman’s or Saks will work too). Don’t worry, they can’t jack up the price higher than any other stores. Plus, you’re also paying for an expert eye to help you find the right fit. These days I’m loving:
Finding decent jeans under $100 can be hard, but it can be done. Try:
- Urban Outfitters
Speaking of H&M, it can really be your best friend, boys. It’s hard to go wrong in there, especially with all of the hipsters running around who will help you pick something you won’t look ridiculous in. You can find everything from blazers, button downs, and slacks, to denim and cargos.
If you want to up your game and are willing to spend a little more on pieces you’ll have for a few years, look for these brands:
- John Varvatos
- Boss (Hugo Boss)
- Paul Smith
- Rag & Bone (a little trendy, but always a hit)
Now let’s talk trend. If you’re reading my blog for men’s trends, then use this as your tenet to live by, “less is more.” Or at least until you get comfortable experimenting with scarves and unlaced boots. So here’s all you have to remember for the cold months this year:
- Buy gray instead of black
- Color of the season: burgundy
- A military jacket, cardigan, or velvet blazer over anything will make your outfit trendy
- Cashmere – buy it and love it.
- Opt for boots with laces and not zippers up the side
- Absolutely no embroidery at all. Period.
I’m sure I’ve missed something, but this is a good place to start. Andrew will be offering you more tips on men’s trends when I relaunch MTM (We’re in the programming phase now! Sorry it’s taken so long, customization is EXPENSIVE!)Tweet this!