My stepmother doesn’t fancy herself a cook, and I argue about it with her EVERY holiday. The woman cooks up comfort food that makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
I finally got her to write down her Grandma Harper’s cornbread dressing recipe to share with you. Make this for the people you love most, it is the best gift you’ll give them this holiday.
- 1 box jiffy cornbread mix (follow instructions on box)
- 2 pieces white bread
- 2-3 yellow squash
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 – 2 lg. onion (white or yellow)
- 2 eggs
- 1 can chicken bouillon
- Pulled rotisserie chicken or turkey (that they make in the store) – optional
- butter to taste
- poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper (lots of pepper!)
To make this heavenly stuffing, you:
- Make cornbread according to box instructions, let cool.
- Slice the squash, thin, and boil together with sliced onions until very tender. Drain it.
- When cornbread is cool break it up into a large bowl. Leave some chunky pieces, don’t break it up too fine. Tear the white bread pieces also, leave some pieces chunky.
- Sautee the sliced onions and sliced celery with heated EVOO, or butter until clear.
To the cornbread:
- Add some butter to your liking along with the very tender squash, eggs (beaten by hand) into the broken up cornbread.
Add the dry seasonings to your liking.
- Add enough liquid bullion to this mixture to make it moist, knowing that when you bake it, the bullion will be absorbed.
- Add the pulled chicken/turkey.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees in a glass pan for about 45 minutes.
1. HEB on the katy freeway or Central Market sells the plastic containers in produce that have the onion and celery, with the seasoning already mixed in and ready to go. It’s called stuffing starter (it’s fresh)
2. If you feel like the dressing is getting to dry in the oven you can add more bullion right on top of the stuffing while in the oven.
3. During the last 3 or 4 minutes, I like to brown my dressing a little by taking off the foil and BROILING the dressing, just to add a brownish crunchier top.
4. Another good addition to this dressing is a can of drained peas in the dressing mix.
That is all there is to it! Good luck.Tweet this!