This recipe sounds unusual which is exactly why I chose it from Cooking Light. I am get bored of the same old flavors, ya know! But it only requires one pot and one pan, which you know is crucial for me :)
Once you make the reduction (which is super easy), you’ll question whether or not it will be too intense, but I assure you, it’s damn good. Serve with something salty.
Minor Adjustments I Made:
After reading some of the reviews, I decided to make a few changes I think improved the dish.
- Cut the recipe in half
- Used chicken breasts with the skin on the bone to keep the meat juicy
- Substituted white wine for half of the chicken broth
- Substituted vanilla extract for vanilla bean
- Decreased orange rind
- Added sliced honey apples towards the end of the baking time to lighten the flavor, which completed the dish in my opinon
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 (2-inch) piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 16 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Orange rind strips (optional)
Preheat oven to 450°.
Combine first 6 ingredients in a small saucepan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean; stir seeds into broth mixture, reserving the bean for another use. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 20 minutes). Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Arrange chicken in a single layer in the bottom of a roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes.
Brush half of broth mixture over chicken; bake 5 minutes. Brush remaining broth mixture over chicken; bake 15 minutes or until a thermometer registers 180°. Garnish with orange rind, if desired.
- Calories: 209 (24% from fat)
- Fat: 5.5g (sat 1.4g,mono 1.7g,poly 1.4g)
- Protein: 27.5g
- Carbohydrate: 10.9g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 115mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 371mg
- Calcium: 29mg