(YAY! My computer is cooperating and I can upload pictures today.)
For my birthday I decided not to bake a traditional cake. Instead, I whipped up a cobbler I found online. It’s cheaper and easier than a cake, not to mention oh-so-delicious.
The best part about this recipe, is you should already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries and peaches (use any fruit you want)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- White sugar – a little more than a cup
- 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose or wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 375.
- Lightly grease an 8 inch square baking dish.
- Place the blueberries into the baking dish, and mix with vanilla and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 – 3/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of flour, then stir in the tablespoon of melted butter. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 3/4 cups of flour, baking powder, and 6 tablespoons sugar.
- Rub in the 5 tablespoons butter using your fingers, or cut in with a pastry blender until it is in small pieces. Make a well in the center, and quickly stir in the milk. Mix just until moistened. You should have a very thick batter, or very wet dough. You may need to add a splash more milk.
- Cover, and let batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the batter over the blueberries, leaving only a few small holes for the berries to peek through.
- Mix together the cinnamon and 2 teaspoons sugar; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden brown. A knife inserted into the topping should come out clean – of course there will be blueberry syrup on the knife.
- Let cool until just warm before serving. This can store in the refrigerator for 2 days.
I didn’t use all of the dough I made. Feel free to take as many liberties as you want with this recipe, you can’t mess it up. Next time I’m going to use agave or sucanat instead of sugar if it will turn out just as tasty.Tweet this!