I have been looking for a way to incorporate butternut squash into my summer salads. This combo from Bar-on-Fifth in NYC looks delicious!
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed and torn into bite size pieces
- 1 head frisee lettuce, washed and cut into bit sized pieces. The yellow parts are far less bitter
- 3 radishes, sliced thin
- 1 small butternut squash, for squash crisps
- 1 English cucumber
- 8 lemons
- 1-2 cups grape seed oil
- sea salt to taste
1. Peel the cucumber and cut it into 4 equal halves- first cut widthwise, then lengthwise. Slice each of the 4 halves into long, thin strips. A mandolin is the best tool for this, but if you don’t have one, just use a sharp knife.
2. Peel the butternut squash using a vegetable peeler. Then using the same peeler, peel the squash into long, thin strips. Fry them in oil at 250-275 degrees until crisp. Try to keep the temperature low to prevent them from browning.
3. Juice all 8 lemons and zest 2 of them. Whisk while slowly streaming in the grape seed oil. Add sea salt to taste.
4. Lightly toss the butter lettuce, frisee, cucumber, and radish slices with the lemon vinaigrette. Garnish the top of the salad with the squash crisps, if desired.
Bar on Fifth, 400 5th Avenue (between 36th and 37th streets); 212-695-4005.Tweet this!