Last week I told you what not to wear: cargo pants. This week, I’m going to give you my fail-safe formula for interview apparel — after all, I’ve been going on my fair share this month. All you need are these five things to wow the HR director:
1. The undershirt, not a wife beater or tank. Often overlooked, this ensures a smooth shirt with no weird visible lines.
2. The dress shirt. Go with a classic white or light blue or a very subtle pattern. For my first interview, I always wear white and then switch it up with a smarter shirt for the second interview, like a very fine grey and white gingham shirt.
3. The tie. Keep it simple: pair solid shirts with patterned, conservative ties and pair slightly patterned shirts with solid ties. Want to add a little character? Wear a tie bar; it shows you pay attention to detail.
4. The suit. The darker the better. Stay away from anything too trendy, especially a skinny trouser.
5. The shoes. Classic, polished, and black. If you’re still looking to play the fashion card, opt for wing tips.