Despite the fact I’m a native Texan, I don’t know the ropes in Austin. Although, if you ask my friends who went to UT, they are out of the loop in town because so many new places and neighborhoods have popped up in the last few years.
I love my usual haunts (see my guide here), but my idea of fun in a growing city like Austin is exploring the new places. By places, I mean restaurants :)
Currently on my to do list:
- Download the Austin Food Cart app to figure out what deliciousness is close by so I’m not wandering aimlessly.
- Hire a TaskRabbit to stand in line for me at Franklin BBQ, apparently the best in the world.
- Find a decent yoga studio downtown.
- Browse through Zagat’s free “Flavor of Austin” guide as a starting point for restaurants.
- Check for updates on Austin 360’s Pinterest Board.
- Secure a reservation at the hipster and foodie fave Eastside Showroom.
- Pray I can still get a reservation at Uchi. It’s one of my favorite restaurants in the world.
- Rent a van to get all of my friends out to Salt Lick BBQ, my favorite on earth, during the weekend. (Not worth it to go on the week days because they use a gas grill.)
And seek out all of the amazing restaurant and bar recs I found via twitter!
- DasKeyboard created a great Austin guide on Pinterest for all things casual and affordable
- @UncleWeed has been tweeting reputable beer joints (Brew Exchange, Lovejoy, Gingerman)
Alright then. Looks like I actually have a lot of research on my hands!