I’ve been in this situation a million times so I can tell you it never gets any easier.
Usually when the clock strikes 11 the night before I leave, I see my empty suitcase, and I just melt. Sh!t. “I’ve saved packing until the last minute, and I can’t take everything I want to in that little f-ing carry-on,” I think to myself.
When it seems like there is no hope in sight for being strategic about packing, I unconsciously go to work in this order:
- Turn on Bravo: ridiculous drama makes my situation seem not so bad.
- Consider how many days I can exercise and pack for those days minus 1 (I can usually re-wear a couple things because I don’t sweat a lot in hotel gyms.)
- Pack my underwear: 1 Hanky Panky/day, an Assets cami, a Charlotte Ruse long tank, maybe a bra, socks.
- Grab my favorite daytime ensemble of the moment.
- Choose between one of three pairs of dark denim jeans for nighttime.
- Pick two verstaile night outfits.
- Asses my daily activities and pull basic outfits for each day.
- Throw in a couple extra tops that go with jeans.
- Choose one daytime flat, one evening heel, workout shoes, flip flops/Uggs.
- Pack all of my favorite jewelry pieces I can fit into my case. OR! I barely take any jewelry at all.
For traveling, I love American Apparel clothes because they don’t wrinkle and you can reinvent them a million different ways with accessories. That’s not front page news, but it’s noteworthy for those of you who are shopping early for vacations right now. If only I could upload pics right now I’d show you this short LBD with a cutout in the back that I’ve worn a million different ways.
Bottom line: you shouldn’t over-pack because you’re rushed. Follow the outline above, pack a few extras and you’ll be able to close your bag easily!
Alrighty then, time to set this bad boy in motion. Night!Tweet this!