Celebrating the holiday yesterday, even being in church, I realized I have no clue as to how we went from Jesus’ resurrection to a bunny laying eggs. During my search for an alternative deviled egg recipe on Real Simple this morning, I found a reasonable explanation. You can read it here. Pretty interesting and helpful to make the connection from the religious events to the Hallmark traditions.
On to the good stuff: what to do with those leftover eggs?
Out of everything I saw – cobb salad, breakfast pizza on an English muffin, the standard deviled egg – I thought that Curried Egg Salad Sandwich sounded the most appealing.
Curried Egg Salad Sandwich
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 large leaves Bibb lettuce
- potato chips, for serving
- Place the eggs in a saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat, and let sit for 12 minutes. Rinse the eggs under cold water, peel, and coarsely chop.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise and curry powder. Fold in the eggs and chives; season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Dividing evenly, top each slice of bread with lettuce, then the egg salad. Serve with the chips.