My lunch looks healthy and filling, right?! Well, it is healthy, but it’s not well-rounded enough to stave off hunger. That’s what I learned from Hilary, the nutritionist at Blast900, the other day. I let her loose on my Whole Foods buffet loot, asking her to break down it down. Here’s what she had to say:
- COLOR MEANS NUTRIENTS: The more color that’s in your food the better. Dark green kale instead of romaine. Brown bulgar wheat instead of white rice.
- NATURAL FIBER: The fiber in the raw veggies is filling and promotes digestion.
- NO FAT: The feta cheese is not enough! Good fats are necessary in a well-rounded meal. I should get fat from protein like salmon or chicken, although since chicken is so lean I’d have to add avocado to it. I could have added a olive oil or dressing to my kale for fat as well.
- WHITE BEANS: Black beans have more color and therefore more nutrients than white beans.
- NO PROTEIN: The beans do not have enough protein. Protein is hard for your body to burn so it keeps you full longer than the wheat or beans. Plus, it’s necessary for your muscles. Again, salmon or chicken would be good choices.
Here’s what Hilary doesn’t know: I eat every two hours. So for me, this meal does the job and I’ll eat a chicken breast in two hours. I guess what I now understand is that I need to add fat, like avocado, to the chicken breast, in order for it to fill me up for another 2 hours.
If you have a lunch break and that’s it, use it wisely and make sure you have colorful veggies, protein, and fat in your meal!
UPDATE: ADDING FAT WORKED!!!!
Today I didn’t have time to even throw lettuce in a bowl so I made a smoothie. Behind my totally gross raw protein mix, I saw I had coconut oil which is ALL saturated fat. When added to anything, the coconut flavor shines through so I thought, “a little of this will add the fat Hilary suggests AND make this thing taste better.”
In my smoothie:
- Raw Protein from Whole Foods
- Fresh Pineapple Orange Juice
- Coconut Oil
Adding only a half teaspoon of the oil made my smoothie SO MUCH MORE SATISFYING. I drank it three hours ago and I’m still not hungry. Usually I want to ravage a sandwich after a smoothie, so this is a huge leap for me.Tweet this!