I myself have said and hear from others countless times, “I’m not eating so I can go out to [fill in indulgent restaurant here] tonight.” Well, even though it sounds good and the numbers even out, famine now doesn’t mean you can or should feast later for several reasons:
- By not keeping your metabolism in motion, you slow it down. ”Going long periods of time without eating, you will start to produce cortisol which will cause you to store everything from that meal as fat so it’s better to keep your metabolism revved up so that you will metabolize that meal more efficiently,” says Hilary King.
- Your blood sugar will drop drastically and you’re not going to feel good or act appropriately. Your productivity will suffer as well.
- If you’re hungry all day, you’re more likely to eat even MORE at dinner.
So how can you help yourself if you want to indulge??? My nutritionist Hilary King has some suggestions for you!
- Exercise regularly at least an hour a day to keep your metabolism in high gear.
- Eat complete meals of lean protein, complex carbs, and good fats so you’re satisfied without snacking.
- Have a healthy snack (veggies, nuts) before you go out to dinner so you don’t blow your meal on bread.
- Cheat on salty and fatty foods instead of sweets. The more sweets you eat, the more you will crave them.
- Choose a protein you’ll enjoy and limit the bad side dishes to just a couple bites.
- Eat some veggies (NOT STARCH) with dinner to slow down the absorption of alcohol and sugar into your blood stream.
- Opt for red wine or clear alcohols without juice mixers as your beverage.