Traveling to random cities over the past few years, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the food I’ve found. Granted, I had to hunt for it, but the effort was worth my while with every bite. Below is a collection of places I’ve been referred to, experienced, or just sound right up my alley. Should you find yourself in one of these places, make haste to the bar or a table (reservations can be surprisingly hard to come by) and report back with your findings.
- Westbury Kitchen (above, farm to table with a San Fran vibe that exceeds expectations)
- Kali’s Court (fine dining Mediterranean seafood)
- Kali’s Mezze (more casual Greek)
- Flemmings (steakhouse chain that never disappoints for good steak and scene)
- Chinhiale (locals love this Italian cafe)
- Charm City Cakes (shop of former host of Ace of Cakes)
- Faidley’s (best crab cake in town) **just order the crab cake everywhere, EVERY crab cake I had was amazing and I’m a tough critic!
- Big Bad Wolf’s House BBQ (amazing smoked chicken)
Denver also has an up and coming food scene, but I haven’t heard many specifics yet. Cities I visited and struggled to find a handful of options: Detroit, Phoenix, and Nashville. If you have suggestions in any of the places I mentioned, please leave them in the comments below.
I would include Houston and Atlanta in this grouping, but I wrote about my favorites frequently. Click here for Houston and Atlanta recommendations.Tweet this!