Coming from a Texan, the “delicious” title is an honor for this recipe ;)
I am actually shocked at how rich the flavor is. You’ll understand why in a second.
Kitty, my BFF from college, just turned Paleo for health reasons so she has to make a lot of condiments herself: ketchup, mayo, etc. She found this BBQ sauce recipe on one of her go-to blogs HomemadeByMommy where Lindsey “makes real food in a fake food world” AND works in the corporate world. On top of healthy recipes, Lindsey does a monthly giveaway. In October, you can enter to win a Vitamix!
Back to the sauce. The ingredients are nothing fancy. All blended in a Vitamix. It came out smooth, smokey, and as I said, surprisingly delicious. Use with ribs or chicken. It will be a staple at my parties when I can’t get my hands on Goode Company sauce.
- 4 soft, fresh medjool dates, pitted
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chipotle pepper, or to taste (or cayenne)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional addition: 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- ½ cup gluten-free, low-sodium tamari