Last week, I spent my day off on the beach in Malibu. By Saturday my body is so exhausted I try to be as inactive as possible. I imagine you feel the same way when you hit the beach for a week off…with the exception that you feel guilty for making excuses not exercising at all. Maybe that’s me projecting how I feel on vacation, but it seems to be the consensus amongst my friends.
While walking down beautiful Paradise Cove, I thought about all of the beach workouts I have posted over the years, but as I said, Saturday is my day of rest.
Then I remembered the tip I give my NYC readers who hustle to work and claim they don’t have time (or energy) to workout. I tell them, when you’re walking:
- Engage your core and don’t release it.
- Lift your knees higher than normal.
- As you step down, follow through with your step, and squeeze your glutes at the end.
One of my readers says she lost 10 pounds just by changing her walk. Even if that is an exaggeration, half of that would be an accomplishment!
I started walking this way down the beach and my buns were burning by Point Dume! With this in mind I came up with several other ways you can workout without changing your actual movements. (I wish I had made a video, but I was alone on my stroll…) Please note that all of these require you to tighten your abs.
- Walking: High knees + glute squeeze
- Walking: Stand up straight, engage your rear delts (behind your shoulders) and rhomboids (between your shoulders)
- Laying out: Leg raises 6 inches off your towel. Hold at the top for three breaths.
- Building A Sand Castle: Squat down low and dig with your hands, not a shovel.
- Sitting in a chair: Knee raises in and out.
- Reading a magazine: Holding magazine directly above you, extend behind you and then “pull” it down to your belly.
- Fetching More Beer: Go up and down the stairs to the house 3 times each time instead of 1.
- Playing with the kids: Playing with the kids!