The other day I had the pleasure of meeting Joyce Chang, a remarkable, motivated woman and the Editor-in-Chief of Self magazine. Amongst several topics we discussed, she told me two important things about her publication: their advice is offered by experts and backed up with scientific research (we can’t say that for every magazine out there), and “we do tons of salads.” Good to know! I get so bored making the same combos.
In that vein, I offer you my latest and greatest that I refer to as my Summer Fruit Salad. I take beautiful baby lettuces, herbs, and sweeten them up with summer’s best fruits.
Summer Fruit Salad
- Mixed greens (stay away from anything peppery or bitter)
- Torn fresh herbs (dill is the most important, flat parsley, cilantro)
- A mixture of your favorite summer fruit (strawberries, blueberries, peaches, red grapes, plums)
- Optional: cucumber, avocado
- Brianna’s dressing (either Blush Wine or the Poppy Seed which I dilute with lemon juice so it’s not so thick)
- Grilled Chicken
- Toasted walnuts or slivered almonds
- Goat Cheese (go to the cheese shop and get one that’s smooth, not too tangy)
Optional: Roasted your own chicken
This actually takes the salad to another level because it’s so tender.
Chicken breast with bone and skin on. Make a marinade of EVOO, chopped rosemary, thyme, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Or you can use a pre-made pesto to save time. Shove under the skin and lather the breast. Roast at 450 until cooked through. Remove skin and cut up.Tweet this!