- It’s a wheat grain. Don’t we all love wheat?
- It’s good for you.
- It’s filling.
- It’s like quinoa, but sweeter.
- You can cook hearty recipes with it!
There, see. Love it already don’t you?! Had a farro dish from Relish yesterday and it reminded me that I should start making it at home since I’m sooo burned out on quinoa. Plus, you can add heavier additions to it because it holds up against oils and sauces. Just so you know, it’s also interchangeable in recipes for barley.
So, how can you make a delish farro dish? I turned to the fabulous Giada de Laurentiis from The Food Network for an easy recipe.
You’ll notice that like quinoa, farro takes a long time to cook so I make more than the recipe calls for and save the rest for mixing in other recipes later. Or, I just eat it plain.
FARRO SALAD WITH TOMATOES AND HERBS
- 4 cups water
- 10 ounces farro (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 pound tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion (recommended: Walla Walla) chopped
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine the water and farro in a medium saucepan. Add 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the farro is tender, about 30 minutes. Drain well, and then transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, chives, and parsley to the farro, and toss to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Add the vinaigrette to the salad and toss to coat.
- The salad can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.
** The farro salad I loved from Relish was similar and also included chic peas, zucchini, and feta cheese. Absolutely worth it if you can throw those in too!
If you click here, at the bottom of this recipe you’ll find four more with different flavors.Tweet this!